Thursday, April 10, 2008

That's My Job

We had an all employees meeting called today so the new plant manager could introduce himself to the grunts. During the meeting the various lower level managers discussed what their particular department have been building and the future production requirements and growth expectations at our plant.

At the end of all the presentations, they showed us a film about the Future Combat Systems . The film is suppose to show us how the technology of the products we are building and designing may be used to help our military become a more efficient fighting force.

As I watched a soldier in the film point a sensor on his target and shoot the man down. All I could think about was, what the hell am I doing here? I work on a radio system that will be used in all types of military equipment. It was really creepy to think that I could have in the passed, or possibly in the future, build something that may be used to kill someone. I'm sure the film was suppose to make us feel good about building important products that will help protect our soldiers. You can think of it that way, but what I was thinking of, was the war in Iraq. I have always thought the war was unnecessary. And I don't believe that we are any safer today than before the war. I truly wish more members of our congress would have opposed the war. Sadly, it didn't happen and many lives have been lost. We have limited our opportunities to make the world a better place because we are bogged down in an expensive and dangerous war.

I wouldn't say that I'm a pacifist, but I do believe that most wars can be avoided. I feel kind of guilty that I benefit from this war that I oppose. I go to work every day and build electrical equipment that I know nothing about except how it is put together. I never think about what it will be used for. The film today was kind of an in-your-face look at what we really do. I didn't like it. It didn't make me feel safe or comfortable that we are building a stronger military. It just made me think how a few people can use the technology to wage war on people that may not be a threat to us. I don't like the fact that I could have a part in that. Maybe I shouldn't feel that way. It's like the waiter taking the blame for a bad meal instead of the chef. I just make the gun, I didn't put the bullets in and shoot it. It's just a part of my life that I thought I was proud of. The fact that I do a good job at what I build. Now I'm not feeling that. I kind of feel like a hypocrite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home