Thursday, January 10, 2008

Assassination Vacation






I'm kind of a history buff. I love vacations that have a little bit of history thrown into the relaxation. Not every vacation, but it's nice every once in a while to visit a historic place or museum. Daryl's eyes rolled when I suggested that we should try to make it a point to visit all the presidential libraries. I'm not like Sarah Vowell, fixated on the assassinations of the presidents, but I do find some of the history she talks about fasinating, espescally when odd things happen. The truth is almost always more interesting than fiction.

One of the places that I have to get to is Washington DC. My friend Jeff had suggested that we go next summer. I would like to go, but I feel it would be more enjoyable for me if we would wait until the current occupant of the oval offices is back in Texas. I really wouldn't want to visit the White House unless I could protest outside of it against him.

Sarah brings up in the book that she is sort of amazed with the fact that no one has tried to assassinate President Bush. She and I both agree that it would be a great mistake. What a big mistake it would be to have him turn into a martyr. I think my Dad put it best as to why someone hasn't made that leap to harm him. " Even crazy people know that it would be a mistake to have Dick Cheney as president!" How true, things could always be worse.
On to my next Book:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home