Sunday, January 06, 2008

a couple of books read over the holiday

Most of my Christmas break was spent in bed trying to get over strep throat. I did manage to get a couple of short books read. A Simple Path” has been sitting on my self for years. The book is about the life and work of Mother Teresa and her mission to serve the poorest of the poor. She embodies what I believe Christianity should be about. A simple message, Love one another as you love yourself.

From the sign on the wall of the children’s home in Calcutta:

ANYWAY

People are unreasonable, illogical and self-centered,

LOVE THEM ANYWAY

If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives,

DO GOOD ANYWAY

If you are successful, you win false friends and true enemies,

SUCCEED ANYWAY

The good you do will be forgotten tomorrow,

DO GOOD ANYWAY

Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable,

BE HONEST AND FRANK ANYWAY

What you spent years building may be destroyed overnight,

BUILD ANYWAY

People really need help but may attack you if you help them,

HELP PEOPLE ANYWAY

Give the world the best you have and you’ll get kicked in the teeth,

GIVE THE WORLD THE BEST YOU’VE GOT ANYWAY



"Into the Wild” is the story of Christopher McCandless who gave away his money and possessions and went off into the wilderness to be by himself. I have always had a fantasy of taking off and leaving my life behind and starting over, creating a new life. My feelings have changed over the years and I am very content at where I am in my life. For one thing, I don’t think I could survive eight hours in the wilderness on my own! Most of these feelings came from the fact that I didn’t face up to who I was and dealing with being gay. I guess in the back of my mind, running away from the problem was easier than dealing with it. I took the daring path of venturing into the wild gay bar. I wouldn't recommend the bar to anyone else, but for me I was able to meet gay people and finally accept who I was. Later I realized that I wasn't hanging out in bars when I was a straight man, why was I hanging out in a bar because I was gay. It was a growing process and a necessary step that I had to take. I'm glad I faced my fears and didn't run away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home