Saturday, March 01, 2008

Ann

I have had the good fortune to have great friends. It seems that the right person often comes into my life when I need them.

Ann is one of those friends. I don’t see or hear from her that often anymore, but she will always have a place in my heart. She was a shoulder to lean on when I needed it.

We were the only two people in the receiving department on second shift. The job was pretty mundanely boring to say the least. We had to unpack the customer returns, log the information into the computer and then place them in an assigned storage location.

To pass the time we started talking, sharing music and just rambling on about anything that came up in our life. I talked about my past and Ann shared her interesting life. At that time I wasn’t out to my family, so I wasn’t out at work either. When I finally got up the courage to tell Ann I was gay. All she said was, “Tom I already know, now what’s wrong?” After working with me for a few months, she knew that something was bothering me.

I told her that I was ready to tell my parents and I didn’t know what I was going to say or how I was going to tell them. Ann just listened. All she really said was that I should do what I thought was best and it would all work out in the long run. I decided after spilling my fears to her. That I was going to tell my parents that weekend. I was really tired of hiding and I wanted them to know from me and not find out from someone else.

That Monday after I returned to work, Ann was waiting to find out how everything had gone. I told her that it was fine. My parents had done what I should have known they would do. They said that they loved me and that it didn’t matter. Everything would be alright.

Ann said that she knew it would turn out that way. I asked her how she knew that? She said, “Parents love their children and will do anything for them. Unless, they’re fucked-up or something.” It was the first time I ever heard Ann use any kind of curse word and I couldn’t help bursting into laughter! We spent the rest of the night talking about my new life.

Ann, thank you once again from the bottom of my heart. You made a difficult time in my life better. And I will always love you for that.

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott in Iowa said...

It's great having a long-time friend like that you can rely on.

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home