Friday, April 06, 2007

Tax Time


Today I finished my tax returns and electronically filed them. I honestly thought I would have to pay several hundred dollars more in taxes this year, but it seemed to come out pretty even. The past Three years I had a tax consultant prepare my taxes and that worked pretty well for me. I guess I put off getting the paperwork to the tax lady because I thought, why hurry when you owe money? My tax return really isn't that complicated anymore. I did have some sale of stock, but to my surprise most of the information was automatically transferred over from the brokerage firm after entering the correct passwords. Turbo Tax is very user friendly. I have used it before and will probably use it again. Four years ago I made a mistake on my tax return using turbo tax and had to file an amended return. Of course I got a letter from the government that I owed like $1500 plus interest. Somehow they found my first tax return and didn't have the amended one. I had both copies and sent them back to them promptly. Everything was fine and no mistake was made on my part, except filing the wrong information the first time becasue of a W-2 error. It is kind of scary getting a letter saying you owe money. It's up to you to prove that you don't . That was one of the reasons I had my taxes prepared by a professional. I didn't want to screw things up with the Real Estate business. Now that I don't have as many complications with my return I feel comfortable doing the return myself.
Federal Tax Refund $371

State Tax owed - 301

Turbo Tax Deluxe - 47.20

Electronic Filing Fee - 33.90

-------------------------------

Balance $ -11.10


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home