Saturday, April 12, 2008

Thank You Sarah

Thank you Sarah Mason! These are two letters to the editor , that were in the Cedar Rapids Gazette this week. Generally, letters to the editor just plain piss me off. People are always complaining about something. It's just an open forum for bitching about everything. Every once in a while, there is some homophobic jerk that has to write in and complain about some gay person offending them. They think we have some audacity to be out in the open and be ourselves. Occasionally I think about responding, but stop myself because it seems like a waste of time. Anyway, I have this blog to do MY complaining on. Everyone has to pick their own battles. I really appreciate when other people respond to the bigots and stand up for gay people.


April 6, 2008

Drag queens inappropriate at a family parade

I took my kids to what I thought was the family-friendly St. Patrick’s Day Parade on March 17. Needless to say that my three kids, ages 7, 5 and 2, had a good time chasing all the candy, etc. My problem with the day was the display of a group of scantily dressed drag queens from a particular gay club parading with as much “pride” as possible. To make matters worse, someone was on a microphone promoting drag shows and how hot the queens are. I know about freedom of expression and all that, but perhaps there is a better place than a family parade for these people to express themselves. I for one will not go to another “family event” that is put on by the city unless I can be assured of the content.

Don Zasadny Anamosa


April 12, 2008

Drag queens have equal right to promote group

I’m writing in regard to an April 6 letter about drag queens being inappropriate for a family parade. St. Patrick’s Day is based around liquor and adults getting drunk. If the writer doesn’t see anything inappropriate in taking his young children to an event based around that, there is something wrong. “Those people” are just as human as anyone else and have just as much right to promote their business or organization. I didn’t see anything inappropriate in their dress or the way they showed pride for who they are and the business they supported. I would much rather have my 5-year-old around people who are proud of themselves and don’t judge anyone for being different instead of ignorant people who discriminate against others who might look or act a little differently.

Sarah Mason Cedar Rapids

1 Comments:

Blogger Scooter said...

Brava!

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home