Sunday, February 25, 2007

It sucks to be us....


I don’t have much to write about this weekend except the weather. Iowa was hit by a major winter storm. We were not too concerned about the whole thing until the power went out last night around 6:30 pm. Our power came back on after midnight and so far everything is still a go. A friend of Daryl’s (Pat), is dropping off her dog for us to dog sit when she is at work because she is still out of power. The news is reporting that some people in the rural areas won’t regain electricity until the middle of next week. Sucks to be them!

Saturday afternoon I really didn't do much except watch TV and bake some cookies before we lost the power. I did watch An Inconvenient Truth again. The movie and the electricity being out got me thinking of how unprepared we are if there was a major disaster. We always have food around the house for a few days. We did have to hunt for candles and flashlights when we lost power. I’m not sure how we would have handled being with out heat for a few days. I guess we need to get some type of heater that doesn't need electricity for times like this. If global warming is going to lead to extremes in the climate, we might as well get prepared for times when the power is out. It’s just a good idea to have things on hand anyway. I’m not sure if it would make a difference as people now run to the stores and clear the shelves out if there is any sign of trouble. I guess its human nature to get use to things as they are and not expect things to change.

Today we went for a walk with Cinder and Pat’s dog Buster. The dogs seemed to enjoy it. With above freezing temperatures the snow was really melting, making it slushy walking. It was nice to get out of the house.

I hope everyone else enjoyed the weekend.
Post Note: 5:30 pm - 6 more guest arrive to stay with us tonight.
It looks like we are going to have more than Buster as a guest tonight. Daryl's friend Ryan, and Daryl's son's family will be joining us tonight. They all live in the town of Keystone which has been has been without power since yesterday morning. I guess they must not have had a generator for the water tower because the town has run out of water.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed we are totally dependent of several things like power, water and gas. A pipe was broke a few weeks ago and the whole town was left without water for a few days. Everybody went to the river outside of the town to get some so they created a huge line. Nobody was prepared for something like that. We tend to think that nothing can go wrong. After the water came back, a week or so there were rumours that the town will be left without water for a few days again. this time the people were ready but the rumours turned out to be false.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Maddog said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I've heard the weather in Iowa sucked today. I'll try and bring some of the San Diego warmth with me when I return tomorrow. I'm praying the power is back on in my neck of the woods and that flying is even possible.

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home