Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day


I hope everyone else is having a great Memorial day! I have been battling a cold since Friday. I have been pumping my body full of Zicam, Nyquil, chicken soup, orange juice and lots of water. Today is the first day that I have felt almost normal. I'm sure I'll feel great tomorrow going back to work!

The weather is wonderful this morning. I ventured out to the back patio to get some fresh air this morning. Of course,the minute I head for the back door I have a dog and two cats right behind me wanting to play outside for a bit. Everything is so beautiful this time of year. The plants are all fresh and new and flowers are popping up all over. Last weekend I built two trellis, one for the climbing rose by the side of the house and one for the side of the garage were I have planted two Sweet Autum Clematis. The rose has really started to bloom this week. We have seemed lucky enough to get rain at the right time and everything has been doing very well. It has been a fairly normal spring this year. I love it when the weather is in the mid 7o°F range.
This was Daryl's weekend to work and it was nice to be home alone in a quiet house. When I'm sick I just want to be alone and sleep. I'm sure I'm not a bundle of joy to be around. I have been reading these two books that I have had for a while and never gotten around to them, The Not So Big House by Sarah Susanka and the Front yard Idea Book by Jeni Webber. Both of the books have great ideas about making your living space more useful and beautiful.
Last night I caught the end of a 60 minutes program. It was a story following the Iowa National Guard called Fathers, Sons And Brothers. I truly am thankful that we have brave men and women that are willing to protect and defend the United States and willing to risk their lives to keep this nation free. I feel that we as a nation have let them down with sacrificing them for a war that should have never been started. Unfortunately, I don't see an end to this soon and we will have to wait until the next election to see if Americans really want to end this by who we elect. I hope that we will make a better choice next time. In the mean time, I want to thank the people that serve our country this day. I hope they will soon return to the people they love.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott in Iowa said...

Hi Tom,
Nice trellis! Hope you're feeling better soon!

4:49 AM  
Blogger Scott in Iowa said...

...oh, and don't forget, you were tagged :-)

4:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home